651) Mrinaala-mridu-dorlataa मृणालमृदुदोर्लता - Her creeper-like arms soft as the lotus stem.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 579
652) Mrityu-daaru-kuthaarikaa मृत्युदारूकुठारिका -The axe that cuts down the tree of death with its pains. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 749
Death here does not mean the physical death of the physical body, but deaths of so many types as ill-fame, poverty, ignorance, lack of self control, defeat, subjugation etc.
653) Mrityu-mathani मृत्युमथनी- Destroying death. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 181
From darkness the devotee is laid to light. From mortality Her devotee obtains immortality, attains the imperishable state, attains eternal existence and he himself becomes (Mai) (Mother).
654) Medonishthaa मेदोनिष्ठा - Presiding over fat. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 509
655) Medhaa मेधा - ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 538
That supreme intelligence which has a very subtle discrimination of good and evil, action and omission, religion and irreligion, eternal and evanescent, imperishable and perishable, primary and secondary, essential and non-essential, regeneration and degeneration, sinlessness and sinfulness etc.
This supreme is intelligence is one of the aspects of Mother.
One would ask what is the propriety of explaining the working of evolution through the instrument of a series of names.Some superficially thinking people have questioned me, " Is it not a crooked way that the explanation of philosophy should be done by a number of names ". The natural should have been that of a book of philosophy like Gitaa or any of the modern books dealing with what is to be inculcated, chapter by chapter.
The hidded idea behind the repetition of the Maai names is that very truth has to be realised. By repetition of names you establish the personal relations between Mother, yourself and the truth.A description is something like a third person's voice, whereas in the case of a book of names, different aspects of the Truth are abbreviated into different names and when each name is repeated with devotion and with appeal to Mother, that helps the devotee to realise the truth embodied in that name. That truth is grasped and impressed most concentratedly and assimilated.
To be hearing after a full banquet dinner while rolling in a bed, " Man must have discrimination ", and giving a half attentive affirmation to it, is one thing. To be directly addressing Mother with a flower offering in a devotional posture after fasting in a divine atmosphere of solitude, and unified beatitude as "Mother", Thou art the discrimination", is another thing. This is one explanation only.
Another point which readers of the vast ocean of scriptures should have clearly before their mind, is that they should not get confused because of the repetitions of same names.To be a master of a subject, the student has so often to return again and again to the first point. It should however be born in mind that his returning to the first point after one, or more revolutions is entirely different from his first reading. Similarly even regarding the sequential order, after one reading and understanding, the repetition has not only a new importance but it is in a way necessary to obtain mastery in matter of the recognition of each truth by itself. Mere knowing is nothing.
The very first thing is the clear and correct understanding of the life, universe, soul, relations with one another, natural tendencies , relation of action and reaction, working forces, and Mother's supremacy over every element and every action.
656) Merunilayaa मेरूनिलया - Residing in Meru.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 775
Shree-Chakra has three aspects or planes, viz., Bhumiभुमी , Kailaasa कैलास and Meru मेरु prastaaraas. Where Mother is identified with the eight deities, viz., Vashini वशिनी, Kaameshvari कामेश्वरी , Modini मोदिनी and others. Mother is in the Bhuprastaara भुप्रस्तार . When She is identified with all the alphabetic letters, She is in Kailaas-prastaara कैलास प्रस्तार and when She is identified with the sixteen Nityaas, She is stated to be residing in Meru मेरु.
657) Maitryaadi-vaasanaa-labhyaa मैत्र्यादिवासनालभ्या - And how is Mother pleased ? ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 570
She is pleased by extending friendliness, etc., and the inborn desire of extending love and sympathy to all others.
This name in other words says , " To please Mother Love all and Serve all ", which is the most important teaching of Mother's Lodge for Maai-ists.
Friendliness etc.means sympathy,compassion, complacency, pity, companionship, cheerfulness-spreading, consoling, helping and guiding others in the path of righteousness, etc.
658) Moha-naashini मोहनाशिनी - Removing and raising beyond, the influence and chances of bewilderment.ललिता सहस्रनाम स.तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 163
For him who perceives unity under all diversities, and the temporariness and falsity, of temptation in all trying circumstances, there is no bewilderment and no sorrow.
659) Mohini मोहिनी -Enchanting. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 562
660) Yajamaana-svarupini यजमानस्वरूपिणी - ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 883
She is fond of sacrifices. It is She that sees the sacrifice successfully conducted and completed and it is She that is the sacrifcer or the person who undertakes himself the expense, work, worry, responsibility, etc.
661) Yajnakarti यज्ञकर्त्री - ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 882
662) Yajnapriyaa यज्ञप्रिया - ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 881
663) Yajnaroopaa यज्ञरूपा -Mother Herself is the sacrifice.The sacrifice here referred to is the sacrifice of massive type where Mantras are recited and oblations are given in the fire kindled in the altar. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 769
664) Yashasvini यशस्विनी - Famous for Her valour, help and kindness and salvation-giving to the devotees.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 474
665) Yaakinyambaa-svarupini याकिन्यम्बास्वरूपिणी - Assuming the form of Mother Yaakini.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 534
666) Yugandharaa युगंधरा - Bearer of the Yoke. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तो., नाम क्रमांक 657
We have referred to souls that take to approaching Her by knowledge. Yoga, devotion and Karma by which last, what is meant is remaining in the world with righteousness and practice of love and service , with Faith in Her and self-surrender to Her, with discharging of one's duties without the desire of fruit or the egotism of ownership or authorship.
One question crops up here, which is so often is used as an argument by the discouraging opponents. " Does God come to fill in your bags of corn ? Is not God's subject good only for talking during leisure hours when nothing else is to be done? If you are after God, is not even maintenance impossible ?
This word states that what has been often promised. "She bears the burden of those who try to follow Her path either as Jnanins ज्ञानी, Bhaktas भक्त, Yogis योगी or Karma Nishthas कर्मनिष्ठ .
667) Yogadaa योगदा - Bestower of Yoga, the science of meditation. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 654
668) Yogaanadaa योगानंदा - The bliss of union.
Whatever we experience as bliss of union is She Herself. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 656
669) Yogini योगिनी - She that confers supernatural powers through the practice of Yoga or She that joins up and brings about union of those that love Her with one another and with Herself. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 653
670) Yogyaa योग्या -The enjoyed. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 655
Yoga योग is the union of individual soul with the Supreme Soul which results by a process after having controlled all senses with mind. Yoga results in being freed from the attachment from pain. Yoga is the restraint of mental modifications and mainly of four varieties - The Raja Yoga राजयोग , Hatha Yoga हठयोग , Mantra Yoga मन्त्रयोग and Laya Yoga लययोग .
The above is the popular interpretation of Yoga. Taking Yoga as union, it is the union of the enjoyer, the bestower of the enjoyment and the object of enjoyment. In a word the Bestower of enjoyment is the Mother, the enjoyer is the devotee and the enjoyed is the universe in the first instance and later She Herself. There is a stage when both are enjoyers of each other. During the last stages there is the unification of all these three as one. Next two remaining unified and finally one alone remains.
The highest form of Mother as Infinite Source of the essence of Sattwikness सात्विक alone is the bestower of enjoyment and may be called योगदा Yogadaa. The next form with greater portion of Rajas रजस is the enjoyer, the devotee. Here She may be called Yogini योगिनी. And the third containing predominating portion of immovability and material nature is that of the universe, In this She may be called Yogyaa योग्या.
671) Yoni-nilayaa योनिनिलया -The place of origin. Yoni also means Maayaa. She in whom Maayaa dwells and finally takes rest.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 895
672) Yoni-mudraa योनिमुद्रा - This is another kind of Mudra and is ninth.ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 982
Taking the other meaning of this name and the above, She is the giver of happiness due to the company of the illumined and the fair sex.
The two words are indicated to show the two highest types of happiness; mental and physical.
673) Rambhaadivanditaa रंभादिवंदिता- All that is infatuating and maddening in celestial damsels like Rambhaa, Urvashi and others , who are deputed to break the penance of a Muni, proceeds from Mother. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 741
674) Raktavarnaa रक्तवर्णा- Red-coloured. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 499
675) Rakshaakari रक्षाकरी -Protector. ललिता सहस्रनाम स्तोत्र, नाम क्रमांक 317
She that protects Her devotees from miseries, temptations, sins etc. Rakshaa also means ashes, She that reduces the sins of Her devotees to ashes.